The specialized hospital for obstetrics, gynecology, preventive medicine and in vitro fertilization “Sofia” offers a donation program for egg cells.
Information for recipients
Who is the program for donor egg cells for?
Women who are not in a position to produce their own egg cells, have a bad quality of egg cells or are carriers of a genetic disease, are encouraged to participate in the donation program of the Specialized Hospital for Medicine, Gynecology and Pediatric Medicine “Sofia”.
Most often, the recipients of egg cells are patients in advanced reproductive age (40 and more years). The procedure for in vitro fertilization with donor egg cells usually has a high success rate – due to the fact that the egg cells used are from a young healthy donor proved fertile function.
Donors voluntarily waive all claims to egg cells, embryos, and probable children born from them. Only the recipient can dispense the eggs and the embryos obtained from them. They can be frozen, handed over to another recipient or used for research activities.
What are the steps of in vitro procedure with donor egg cells?
1. Finding and studying the egg cells donors, followed by comparison of the donors with the recipients. In some cases, first of all, make a comparison, and then a study is conducted. Candidates for egg donors are selected with strict adherence to applicable legislation and medical standards. The age is limited in the range of 18-34 years in case of unauthorized donation. It is obligatory to have at least one live born child. Donors are subject to a comprehensive general medical examination, a separate gynecological examination, Compilation of a similar personal and family history of the disease, various types of research on blood and liver, research on the psychiatry, psychology. Their current donor status is checked, due to the fact that legislature does not allow for more than 5 children to be born from one egg cells donor. The final decision for the inclusion of the candidates for egg cell donations in the program is taken by the specialized commission.
2. Preparation of the uterine mucosa of the recipient, to synchronize with the donor cycle stimulation. The synchronization of the menstrual cycles of the donor and the recipient is achieved through the use of chormonal drugs. During this period, several transvaginal ultrasound examinations and functional tests are performed, which provide information about the reaction. Sometimes, the endometrium of the uterus does not react to the chormonal stimulation and requires all embryos to be frozen for later use.
3. Stimulation of the ovaries on the donor with hormonal preparations, with the purpose of generating a larger number of follicles and egg cells. In very few cases, it is possible that eggs will not be aspirated. The quality and quantity of the egg cells can’t be guaranteed.
4. Incemination and fertilization of eggs taken from the donor. On the day of egg cells aspiration from the donor, the recipient’s partner secretes semen through masturbation. The embryologists from the clinic process and prepare the semen for the insemination of the eggs.
In case the partner cannot separate the sperm in the necessary time, it is possible to use sperm from a donor or to freeze the egg cells, without being insiminated. The partner must accept all responsibilities related to the separation of semen on the specified day. It is advisable to inform the team of the clinic., If it is assumed that there may be a problem with the separation of semen, on the certain day, so that they canprepare for pre-freezing of spermatozoa.
After the egg cells are aspirated, they are mixed with the spermatozoa of the partner / donor in order to be fertilized. If preliminary tests show that the sperm cannot or is not suitable for fertilizing the egg cell in the natural way, the injection of the spermatozoa is carried out directly into the ovum(ІСЅІ). Fertilization cannot be guaranteed in any of the cases of insemination.
5. Transfer of the optimal number of embryos in the uterus of the recipient. After talking to your doctor and in accordance with the regulations in the Republic of Bulgaria, the recipient decides how many embryos will be transferable or frozen.The transfer of embryos in the uterus is through the catheter. In some cases, the embryonic transfer may be hindered, which requires the embryo to freeze. The proliferation of progestogen drugs improves the implantation of embryos in the uterus. When patients choose a blastocysts transfer, they take the risk that the embryotrasfer may not be successful, because of the chance that no embryo will reach this level of development
6. Freezing of the remaining embryos with good quality. Freezing the remaining embryos with good quality is recommended to provide additional options of impregnation. An additional informative agreement is signed for embryo freezing.
The success of the in vitro fertilization procedure depends on various factors, which is not possible to be accurately predicted for every different patient. It is not possible to promise the realization of pregnancy as a result of the in vitro fertilization procedure. The average success rate after embryo transfer, obtained from donor egg cells, is 50-60%.
The In vitro fertilization program, as well as during the normal process of fertilization, it is possible to have a child or children with an abnormal status, but the percentage of the introduced anomalies does not differ significantly from that in the general population.
According to the law, the process of giving egg cells is strictly confidential and does not allow identity to be established. The identity of the recipients also cannot be taken into account, except in the case of giving between representatives in the direct line (sisters, cousins).
The information that recipients receive about donors includes medical, genetic, and psychological characteristics of the donor. Specialized hospital for active treatment in medicine, gynecology and preventive medicine “Sofia” It does not guarantee the accuracy of the information provided by the donors.