Most clinical studies up to date suggest that acupuncture may be effective in disorders of female fertility. Acupuncture can have a positive effect on the following:
- Regulation of sex hormones in disorders of the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis in response to stress;
- Improving the blood supply to the reproductive organs, leading to an improvement in the thickness of the endometrial lining;
- Improving the function of the corpus luteum;
- Improved expression of the receptors for the follicle-stimulating hormone;
- Reducing stress and improving embryo implantation.
The results from clinical studies conducted so far on the effects of acupuncture on male infertility indicate a beneficial effect as concomitant therapy to improve the performance of sperm.
Acupuncture and assisted reproduction
The overall results of previously conducted clinical studies have shown that acupuncture is a reasonable addition to the treatment of infertility and increases the chance of achieving pregnancy and birth of a healthy child, while the side effects of this treatment are limited. In particular, it was found that acupuncture definitely increases the pregnancy rate and successful pregnancies in women undergoing in vitro fertilization. More and more IVF clinics in the world routinely offer their patients acupuncture as adjunctive therapy for in vitro fertilization. The application of acupuncture is particularly appropriate in couples with repeated reproductive failure and unexplained infertility.